When you’re in a rush, it’s tempting to pick up a dessert from the bakery — slow down and save money with this recipe for an apple-glazed pumpkin cake that serves eight to ten people.
What You’ll Need
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- 15 oz. can of unsweetened and unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup of apple cider
- ⅓ cup of whole milk
- 1½ cups of confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, 325 degrees if using a glass pan.
- Grease a 9 x 13 glass pan or baking pan.
- To prepare the cake batter, combine the cake mix, pumpkin puree, and eggs together. It will come out thick.
- Spread the batter out in a greased 9 x 13 pan — or a bundt style pan.
- Bake it for about 35 minutes at 325 degrees if baking in a glass pan or 350 degrees in any other pan.
- While the cake bakes, make the glaze: Pour the cider into a pot on the stove and boil it reduce the cider by half, constantly stirring for about five minutes. Watch it carefully as it can burn quickly.
- Turn off the heat, and when the cider is cooled, add milk, pumpkin pie spice, and confectioner’s sugar. If the glaze is too thick add a little more cider and stir until the right consistency.
- Set the glaze aside to cool off until it’s ready to use. Take the cooked cake out of the oven and let it cool off as well. Pour the glaze on top of the cooled cake and enjoy.
Has reading this recipe inspired you to bake one of your own? If so, please let us know how your apple-glazed pumpkin cake turns out by posting about it in the comments section below. And don’t forget to tell us about the occasion you served it at, what kind of meal preceded it, which beverages accompanied it and any feedback you might have received from your guests or family.
Join the newsletter! Subscribe to get our latest content by email.